Every year for the past twenty-four years, Wolfgang Puck has prepared the most prestigious meal in Hollywood. At Governors Ball, the notorious after-party following the Academy Awards, the iconic Los Angeles chef serves an oppulent menu for hoards of hungry, tipsy A-listers who just made it through a very tense evening. This year, Piper-Heidsieck expects to serve about 800 magnums of Champagne over the course of the whole night.
The 2018 Governors Ball menu is as lavish as ever. To pull the whole thing off, 300 culinary staffers work in tandem to serve roughly 1,500 guests food and drinks. That means 13,000 glasses, 12,000 cocktail forks and spoons, 4,800 small plates, 7,000 mini chocolate Oscars, 300 pounds of Miyazaki wagyu beef, 30 gallons of house-made cocktail sauce and so many more quantities of so many more things, but we’ll stop there because we’re getting overwhlemed.
We tasted a sample of what the stars will be eating on Sunday, and we can confirm that the dishes are as over-the-top as the event itself. (For example: There will be a 2,600-pound-sculpted-ice raw bar filled with more sushi, claws and crudo than we can even wrap our minds around.) Small plates, sweet and savory, will make the rounds as stars commiserate and congratulate. There will be comfort foods aplenty for those in need of cheering up: the black truffle chicken pot pie and caviar-topped potatoes are stand-outs.
As for drinks, Piper-Heidsieck’s Cuvée Brut will be poured throughout the evening (even during the ceremony itself, by the bar) and Francis Ford Coppola Winery has unveiled two limited edition wines to be poured as well: “Director’s Cut Oscars 90th Edition Cabernet Sauvignon & Chardonnay.” At the Governors Ball after-party, tequila-seekers can find Don Julio cocktails crafted exclusively for the evening.
Below, the full menu of everything the stars will be eating at the 90th Annual Academy Awards Governors Ball.
Amuse Bouche Platter:
- Parmesan Bread Sticks, Everything Bagel Pretzel Bite, Scamorza Cream Cheese, Tomato Confit
- Aged Vermont Cheddar Cheese, Aged Parmesan Cheese
- Candied Spiced Mixed Nuts, Pineapple
- Dried Fruit
- Apricot Macadamia Nut Lavosh
Raw Bar, served on hand-carved ice bar.
- Spicy Tuna, California, and Vegetable Rolls
- Assorted Nigiri
- Scallop Crudo with Blood Orange, Finger Lime, Lovage
- Sea Urchin, Egg, Dashi Ikura
- Caviar Parfait with 24k Gold
- Oysters on the Half Shell
- Snow Crab Claws, King Crab Legs, Lobster, Mussels, Clams, Shrimp
Passed Small Plates
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts, Pea Shoots, Mezze Flavors (V)
- Frozen Beets, Ginger Milk Curd, Yuzu, Ice Lettuce
- Asparagus, Shiro Miso, Watercress, Cherry Tomatoes, Sancho Pepper (V) SERVED HOT
- White Asparagus Soup, Caviar, Yukon Potato Croutons
- Potato Caviar 2.0
- Black Truffle Chicken Pot Pie
- Winter Truffle Baked Cavatappi and Cheese
- Mini Pea and Carrot Ravioli, Black Truffle, Cipollini Onions
- Miyazaki Wagyu Beef, Forbidden Black Rice, Crunchy Red Beets, Char Siu Cabbage
- Black Bass, Eggplant, Salsa Verde, Teardrop Peppers
- Housemade Spinach Campanelle , English Peas, Cipollini Onions, Roasted Tomatoes (V)
See more at Food & Wine: http://www.foodandwine.com/news/oscars-governors-ball-menu-stars-eating